How can you get around without a license?

| Jul 25, 2018 | Drivers License Suspension Or Revocation |

If your Massachusetts driver’s license has been suspended due to a DUI you may be freaking out and worried about how you are going to get your kids to school, drive to work, get to medical appointments etc. While public transportation is an option, this is time-consuming and not always the most convenient choice, especially if you live in a small town. For those that qualify, a hardship license is available which can help ease some of the stress.

According to Nasdaq, a hardship license replaces your normal driver’s license for a certain amount of time based off the terms of your DUI. You must prove the need for a license, and you are typically only allowed to drive to and from a small number of approved locations.

According to the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, in order to apply for a hardship license you need to submit required documents and attend a hearing. These documents include:

  • Proof of alcohol treatment program completion
  • After-care order compliance
  • Probation compliance
  • Public transportation availability and information
  • Documentation of hardship from employer or third party

For a first offense, one may apply for hardship three months after license revocation for education or work, or six months after revocation for general hardship.  This eligibility time lengthens with subsequent offenses. Even when all requirements have been met, the RMV may still deny a request for a hardship license. If a request is granted, the driver must have an ignition interlock device installed in his or her vehicle before the license becomes valid.